The Diocese of San Francisco expanded its mission north to Petaluma in 1859 when two lay teachers opened Saint Vincent de Paul School in a stable. By 1867, the Daughters of Charity arrived to teach and oversee the administration of the school. Sister Angela Noyland arrived as Sister Servant. By this time, Saint Vincent School relocated from the stable to a small frame house. Due to a number of difficulties concerning an ever-growing debt and lack of space, the Sisters withdrew in 1885. Today, Saint Vincent de Paul School continues to educate students in grades K-8.